Why should I visit Afton Wyoming?
You'll immediately notice the large antler arch that spans the four-lane road through town. Downtown is lined with shops and restaurants and welcomes visitors to discover nearby attractions like the Intermittent Springs, CallAir Museum, and the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum. Annual events include Cutter Races, Snowmobile Hill Climb, and a County Fair, while outdoor activities just begin at fishing, camping, hiking, and snowmobiling.
Where is Afton WY?
Afton sits at the southern end of Star Valley, Wyoming, southwest of Jackson Hole. It's about 1.5 hours from Jackson via the Snake River Canyon, passing the town of Alpine and Palisades Reservoir on the way.
What sort of services and amenities does the town of Afton Wyoming offer?
There are a handful of cabins, motels, and small lodges that offer a cozy night's lodging in Afton. Over a dozen restaurants (including a few chains) and little shops line the main street through town. Services, grocery stores, and even a bowling ally and movie theater make this a self sufficient town.
What can I see or do in Afton?
- Eat a Rulon Burger: Named for the olympic wrestling champion Rulon Gardner, who was born and raised in Afton, Rulon's Burger Barn is a popular restaurant among locals and visitors.
- Intermittent Spring: It's the largest cold water geyser in the world, accessible via a short hike up Swift Creek.
- Drink the Water: Afton was awarded with the best water in the nation in 2005.
- Fishing the Salt River: The Salt River runs through Star Valley and there are numerous access points near Afton
- Star Valley Golf Course: Spend the day golfing at this public course in Afton.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum: A historic account and artifacts from early Mormon settlers. It's open from May through September on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Call Air Museum and Aviat Aircraft: Learn about the unique aviation history in western Wyoming.
- Snowmobiling: Star Valley is a mecca for snowmobiling.
- Snowmobile Hill Climbs: The circuit comes to Afton in February, a fun-filled event for snowmobilers and the community.
- Cross Country Skiing: A number of dedicated cross country skiing areas surround Afton. Try Fish Creek and Salt River Pass Ski Trails or the groomed tracks at local golf courses.
- Cutter Races: Every Saturday from December through February, the Cutter Races bring in quite the crowd. Come and cheer them on.