Stay close to town and go ice climbing at the new Teton Ice Park or join a guide and head into Grand Teton Park's Death Canyon. Outside of Jackson, but still relatively nearby, ice climbing is available near Teton Valley, Pinedale, Dubois, and Cody Wyoming.
Where can I go Ice Climbing in Jackson Hole?
Teton Ice Park
Urban ice climbing at Snow King Mountain in the heart of Jackson Hole. The Teton Ice Park will be open into March and boasts 8 pillars of ice up to 40 feet high. Lessons by experienced professional mountain guides need to be booked 24 hours in advance and start at $85 for a half-day group lesson.
- Location: Snow King Mountain Base Area
- Hours: Tuesday 10am to 1pm, Friday 4pm to 7pm, Saturday 10am to 4pm
- Cost: $20 Day Pass (punch cards also available)
- Contact: 307-690-1385
Grand Teton National Park
Up the easily accessible Death Canyon, towards the southern end of the Tetons, hire a local guide to take you to a number of ice climbing areas, including the Sentinel, Prospectors, and Dread Falls.
Are there other places to go Ice Climbing near Jackson?
Teton Canyon near Driggs Idaho
Boy Scout Falls is the main ice climbing area in Teton Canyon with several good top-roping options and the occasional mixed climb. Other areas along the north facing wall of Treasure Mountain are Reunion, Green Pea and the Ghosts. Approach from the town of Driggs by driving East towards Grand Targhee Ski Area. Once you have entered the canyon look for a Forest Service sign directing you to the right and to the trailhead. In the winter the road is groomed for Nordic skiing by the local group Teton Valley Trails and Pathways. It's about a 2 mile ski in to the falls which are on the South side of canyon.
Fremont Lake Ice in Pinedale
Access is limited to this remote ice climbing destination. The lake has roughly 10 regularly forming icefalls that are great for ice climbing.
Lake Louise in Dubois
Just outside of Dubois in the Wind River Range, there is a multi-pitch ice climbing area at Lake Louise.
- Start at the Glacier Trail south of the town of Dubois. A 15 minute walk brings you to a bridge over a creek which holds a 25 foot pillar that you can top-rope. Continuing up the main trail (do not cross the bridge) you will find a section of trial covered by ice from a small spring. Descend into the creek to find a short bouldering wall and a 12-15 foot ice fall in the creek proper. Continuing up the trail to Lake Louise (approximately an hour from the car) there are two multi-pitch routes that descend towards the lake on the North facing cliffs making up the South margin of the lake. The first is The Gully, a 6-8 pitch climb up through a narrow, mixed choke into the upper amphitheater. Once in the amphitheater there are many options for routes from WI 3-4. Descend by rappelling the route or on foot to the east on a ramp that takes you winding back down to Lake Louise.
- The other climb at Lake Louise is called Golden Tiers, a 3 pitch route up a granite slab. When in condition and reaching the bottom this climb is a spectacular outing up steep ice interspersed with ledges perfect for comfortable belays.
- Natural Bridge is a newly discovered climbing area along Warm Springs Creek. This is a great area for mixed climbing, pillars and 80 high sheets of ice, all of which form into the Warm Springs Creek gorge nearby a huge natural bridge. The approach is about 1 1/2 hours and is a bit tricky. When there is enough snow you can snowmobile in.
South Fork of the Shoshone in Cody
Sometimes referred to as the Yosemite of ice climbing, the South Fork of the Shoshone offers one of the highest concentrations of frozen waterfalls around. Cody also hosts a Ice Climbing Festival each February.
Share Your Thoughts
- Snowcoach Tours
- Guides & Tours
- Dog Sledding
- Sleigh Rides
- Snow Tubing
- Ice Skating
- Snow Biking
- Ice Climbing
- Outdoor Rentals
Teton Backcountry Guides: Powder for All Abilities
Untracked powder for everyone! Get away from the resort with professional ski & snowboard guides who focus on fun & educational backcountry experiences. All abilities welcome.
Jackson Hole Iditarod Sled Dog Tours
A great way to soak in the hot springs. Powered by veteran sled dogs, your tour includes taking the reins of the sled dog team and a delicious lunch.